Radio Licensing

Rugged Two-way radios operate on radio frequencies that are regulated by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC). A license is required to transmit on these frequencies. Below is a list of the different frequency bands we support and information about usage and licensing. 

Business Band

Business Band radio is a high-powered band used by professional racers and to support day-to-day business activities in the commercial and industrial environments. Advantages of Business Band include, higher power allowances, more robust equipment, and simple user interfaces.

An application and frequency coordination (to ensure communications do not interfere with others) is required to obtain a Business Radio license. Licensing covers workers operating under the direction of the licensee business. The cost is typically a few hundred dollars. For more information, visit:

To ensure our customers are operating Business Band Radios in compliance of FCC Rules and Regulations, Rugged Radios has licensed:

• 10 nation-wide commercial band frequencies (35 Watt)
• 60 area-specific commercial band frequencies (60-Watt)

These frequencies/channels are available to transmit for business or professional race use. For a list of channels and areas licensed, please click here:

Rugged Radios Licensed Channels

To license your own frequency, we recommend FIT

To sign up for the Rugged Radios FCC License Sharing Agreement, log in or create an account.


General Mobile Radio Service, or GMRS Radios, operate on specific UHF frequencies set aside by the FCC for general public use, and is popular for overland, Jeep, outdoor & adventure, and general recreational uses.

To legally operate GMRS radios a valid FCC license is necessary.

No test is required to obtain a GMRS license. Licenses are valid for 10 years and cover any family member, regardless of age. For more information, visit:

Amateur Band

Amateur Radio, also known as Ham, is a popular hobby radio platform that connects people throughout various forms of radio communication. Amateur Radio is used to communicate on the trail, across town, or even into space. A large, and active, network of repeaters and users across the world make this a very active and social platform that can also serve as a lifeline during times of need or distress.

A test is required to obtain an Amateur Radio license and only covers the individual. Testing can be performed locally or online. The cost is typically about $15. For more information, visit:

Radio Programming and Frequency Licensing

For radio programming software and information, contact RT Systems. To apply for your own frequency / channel, contact Forest Industries.
RT Systems
Forest Industries Telecommunications